How interesting is this blog to read?

Monday, July 21, 2014

First Day at Home

  Even though we have no power, no water, no TV.  We are happy.  The land is as gorgeous as we remembered.  Pictures truly cannot do it justice.




  We've retrieved our generator from storage yesterday afternoon, so we could make coffee (our life's blood) this morning.  Our fresh water tank is almost out, so when I go to town later today, I'll try to get those filled so we can have some water (the pressure tank is empty).
  We awoke to 46* temps but bright sunlight.  I slept in until 7:30 this morning, what a treat!.  John fixed us scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast, then we planned our day.  John will start unloading the cargo trailer while I run errands in town (namely to the post office to verify our address).
  Right after breakfast, I called MEA and was told that our contractor had never contacted them to do the inspection (frowny face).  I left my number for the engineer to call me back, then I called our contractor for an explanation. None was to be had.
  I help John get a few things sorted, then booted the computer to get addresses of all the places I need to go this morning.  Two cups of coffee in my belly, I'm ready to hit the road.
  Being the diligent person that I am, and not really knowing my way around Wasilla, I programed the addresses into the GPS system in Trooper (easier on fuel).  Little did I know that NONE of the addresses given on line are the actual physical placement of the places I need to go.  Luckily, being a very observant person, I was able to find what I needed (I just happened upon them while following the GPS to some unknown destination).
  John has worked so diligently, and there is so much "weed whacking" to do, I splurged and got him a new Ryobi string trimmer.  The neatest part of this is that there are other attachments you can get for it, i.e. a brush cutter, a pruner, a hedge trimmer, a leaf blower, and a couple of others.  Whew!!  I almost forgot to mention the most important one (to me anyway) the 4 tine cultivator.  Come on spring!!!

  While I was running errands, the engineer came by to inspect the electrical set up.  OOPS! The wires must be in steel piping, not PVC.  There needs to be a guy wire to stabilize the pole, the steel pipe with the wiring must be "centered" on the pole, and there must be a second ground wire 6 ft. from the first one.  I notify the one responsible to fix it.  He will come out this afternoon.
  When he does arrive, John gives him the directions from the engineer. OK, but best of all, he hooks up our well pump to our generator so we can have some running water.  He tells us he will be back tomorrow to fix things so the MEA can turn on our power.
  Other accomplishments today included WiFi, DirecTV installation, arrangement for trash services, and arrangement for a LARGE propane tank.  We are making headway now.
  We finally put our ALASKA sticker on the map attached to Wheel Estate II,  the pups had a blast exploring the land, and to celebrate (at last) a meal of hot dogs, potato chips, and champagne.



  Enjoying life in Alaska.---The adventure continues tomorrow.

No comments: