How interesting is this blog to read?

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 4---Seven-Up?



  Yesterday I mentioned that my truck odometer was getting ready to read all sevens.  I was 3 miles short.  This morning John took the truck to fill the tank.  Cost of the diesel? $77.77 !  John thought I needed to purchase a lottery ticket, but I'm not a gambler.


 Coffee in the cups, we hit the road at 8:10.  The odometer hit the magic numbers at mile 417. (Maybe I should have gotten that ticket)

  Driving west on I-70 I was hit by nostalgia.  I recalled coming into Colorado with my family on a Greyhound Bus in 1962 and seeing the rolling plains ahead.  Suddenly the mountains appeared in front of us rising out of the plains as if suddenly dropped there.  To me, it did not appear as if there was a gradual build up from plains to mountains, instead it appeared to be a sharp line of demarcation.  The mountains took my breath away.  Seeing them today, suddenly springing up from the plains, I was again breathless at the majesty of the Rockies.

  We hit Wyoming around 1:00.  I'd never driven into Wyoming by this route and was pleasantly surprised to see extremely large cut-outs of a bison and a saddled cowboy perched on cliffs overlooking the highway.   Unfortunately I missed getting a pic of the cowboy.  (Well I got it, but it's blurry)

  We did hit some bad rain the last half hour of the trip today but nothing we couldn't handle.  We also encountered several areas of contruction but since traffic is so much lighter here in Wyoming than it is in the Houston area, it really hasn't been a problem and has easily been navigated. 

  We stopped at the eastern Welcome Center.  What a beautiful way to greet visitors to your state.  Lush green lawns with places to sit and enjoy the sunshine.  Inside there was a small museum and tons of information about the attractions the state has to offer.  We've only seen one other as nice.  That was in Missouri in 2005.




  We are currently at the Douglas KOA in Douglas, Wyoming.  This has been the most expensive (so far) stay.  There is a dog park right behind out rig so Sassy and Rascal got to go play and make new friends.
Snickers has developed a new habit of hiding his head under the skirt of the sofa after we bring him in from the car.  Poor kitty wants us to believe he is traumatized, though he does curl up in his bed in the back of the car, uses the box, eats and drinks, he is a great actor.





   Total miles so far 1421.  Miles to go 2967.  We will stay in Montana (different locals) and plan to cross the border on Monday.  Our bones need 2 days of rest according to John (I agree).  Until tomorrow.

No comments: